A 47-year-old convenience store owner is one out of three people who were issued RM50,000 fines in Kelantan last Sunday, 25 April, for operating their business beyond allowed hours under the Movement Control Order (MCO)
The officers asked why he was still operating his store outside of the permitted hours and he tried to explain that he had already closed shop at 10pm
"I closed my shop and locked all the doors, but at 10pm, my wife's relatives came to visit and at that moment, we were chit-chatting in the store," Mansah explained.
"The small door was left open because there were kids going in and out, not for customers. After that, I was surprised when police showed up and asked why we were still operating."
"I explained by showing them the locked grille, but they still issued a RM50,000 fine."
The father of three said that he cannot afford to pay the fine as he has not paid his house loan for seven months and one of his cars had been seized by the bank
"Since that night, I've been stumped and I don't know what I should do. I have yet to file an appeal at the district health office because I'm still in shock. Maybe I will go today," he noted.
"If they still ask me to pay the fine, I really cannot afford it. Just take my convenience store instead."
Kelantan police chief Dato Shafien Mamat said that the state police has decided to study all cases properly by calling the three traders to offer them the compound rate according to the guidelines set for offences under Act 342
Remember to limit your movement and keep practising physical distancing. Watch the latest update on the COVID-19 situation:
The two other business owners that were issued RM50,000 fines include a colek seller and a burger hawker: