news

Pahang Toddler Hospitalised After Allegedly Consuming Fluid In Vape Device

The child's urine test revealed a high level of nicotine.

Cover image via Renz Macorol/Pexels & Freepik

Follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and Telegram for the latest stories and breaking news.

Last Tuesday, 30 May, a two-year-old girl from Bera, Pahang was admitted to the hospital after she was believed to be suffering from acute nicotine poisoning

According to a statement from the Ministry of Health (MOH), the child's grandfather discovered a vape device on the floor next to his granddaughter who was coughing, vomiting, and having difficulty breathing.

"The girl is believed to have inhaled or consumed the liquid inside the electronic cigarette," said the ministry in the statement yesterday, 5 June.

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Romain B/Unsplash

The child was then moved to Sultan Haji Ahmad Hospital (HOSHAS) in Temerloh, Pahang because she needed respiratory assistance in the pediatric intensive care unit

According to the ministry, the toddler was diagnosed with "acute life threatening event secondary to possible alleged nicotine ingestion complicated with seizure".

The ministry added that while the toddler has had two seizures during the course of her treatment, she is now stable and breathing without the aid of a ventilator.

The child's urine test revealed a high level of nicotine and the vape device was sent to the laboratory for further examination.

Sultan Haji Ahmad Hospital (HOSHAS) in Temerloh, Pahang.

Image via Berita Harian

MOH reminded the public that the use of smoking products, including electronic cigarettes, poses significant health risks

The statement explained that the use of tobacco or electronic cigarette liquid can cause acute effects such as heart palpitations, vomiting, and seizures.

"The long term effects of being exposed to high levels of nicotine can adversely affect brain growth, particularly in children," said the statement.

Meanwhile, netizens have flooded the ministry's Facebook post, requesting the government to enforce stricter rules on the usage of electronic cigarettes

"I hope this incident will make the relevant parties realise that it was a mistake removing nicotine from the Poisons Act 1952," said a Facebook user.

Another user called for people to meet their respective members of parliament to work together and change the laws for the usage of nicotine and vape.

One user requested Health Minister Dr Zaliha Mustafa to reinclude nicotine in the Poisons Act 1952 to ensure the safety of future generations.

"MOH needs to needs to take swift action to regulate the liquid or nicotine gel in vapes and electronic cigarettes. I wonder what is the concentration of nicotine is in those brands. This is what happens when there are no proper laws to regulate vape devices," wrote another user.

In March this year, the federal government exempted nicotine as a controlled substance under the Poisons Act 1952 in order to legalise and tax nicotine-laced products, such as vapes and e-cigarettes.

Last month, an 11-year-old was hospitalised after consuming cannabis-laced cookies baked by her father:

Catch up on the latest news on SAYS:

More stories to read: