M'sian Cabin Crew Of Turbulence-Hit Singapore Airlines Flight To Undergo Spinal Surgery

The 32-year-old is one of nine Malaysians currently hospitalised in Bangkok.

Cover image via Pongsak Suksi/Handout via Reuters & Reuters

Follow us on InstagramTikTok, and WhatsApp for the latest stories and breaking news.

Nine Malaysians were injured on board Singapore Airlines flight SQ321, which experienced severe turbulence and made an emergency landing in Bangkok on Tuesday, 21 May

According to Bernama, the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok is currently providing assistance to the nine out of 16 Malaysians who were onboard the flight.

Malaysian Ambassador to Thailand Datuk Jojie Samuel said the injured victims were admitted to two separate hospitals in Bangkok and are currently receiving treatment.

The interior of Singapore Airline flight SQ321 after its emergency landing at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Image via Reuters

One of the most severely injured is a 32-year-old Malaysian cabin crew member, who underwent two surgeries on Tuesday for head, minor spinal, and leg injuries

Jojie said the crew member is in critical but stable condition, and is expected to undergo another spinal surgery today, 23 May, reported The Star.

Meanwhile, the other eight Malaysians are in stable condition.

"The other eight Malaysians, who are suffering from fractured rib, neck pain, dizziness, and minor injuries, are currently under surveillance at the normal wards at both hospitals while awaiting medical results," he told Bernama.

Six Malaysians are being treated in Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital, and three are at Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.

Jojie said consular officers will continue to monitor their situations and offer any further assistance if needed. 

A general view of the Samitivej Hospital where injured passengers of the Singapore Airlines flight SQ321 have been transferred.

Image via Athit Perawongmetha/Reuters

The flight with 211 passengers and 18 crew members was travelling from London to Singapore when it encountered sudden extreme turbulence over the Irrawaddy Basin, approximately 10 hours into the 13-hour flight

A passenger who spoke to Reuters said turbulence led to those not wearing seatbelts hitting overhead cabins.

"I saw people from across the aisle just going completely horizontal, hitting the ceiling and landing back down in really awkward positions.

"The crew and people inside lavatories were hurt the most... There were a lot of spinal and head injuries," Dzafran Azmir, a 28-year-old Malaysian student, told Reuters.

The pilot declared a medical emergency and diverted the Boeing 777-300ER aircraft to Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok, landing at 3.45pm local time on Tuesday.

A 73-year-old British man died in the incident.

Read more about the incident here:

Check out more recent news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: