Three Gang Members Shot Dead In Shootout In Johor

Three suspected robbers were shot dead during a shootout in Tebrau, Johor on 4 May 2014.

Cover image via

3 Suspected Robbers Were Shot Dead In A Shootout With The Police In Tebrau, Johor On 4 May 2014

Mohd Bakri (2nd from left) and Johor chief of police Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Mohd Zinin (third from left) showing the media at the police headquarters in Johor Baru the weapons and other items seized from the three robbers.

Image via

Police shot dead three suspected robbers in a shootout at a shopping mall in Tebrau, in the southern state of Johor, last night.

Special Task Force On Organised Crime Received Information That The Group Was Planning To Rob The Aeon Tebrau Shopping Centre

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said police received information that a group had planned to rob the shopping complex near the scene.

"We believe the robbers had just committed a robbery at Taman Setia Tropika nearby and was about to strike again at the Aeon Tebrau shopping centre," he said.

It is understood that the suspects were being sought in relation to a spate of cash-in-transit robberies in Johor.

At About 10.15PM, Police Spotted Three Men Aged 39 To 41 Driving A Toyota Vios Suspiciously

"Johor police rushed to the scene after receiving an alert. We spotted a white Toyota Vios at the scene with three men behaving suspiciously.

“Police spotted a Toyota Vios moving suspiciously along Jalan Desa Tebrau with three suspects, aged between 39 and 41 years, inside the vehicle at around 10.15pm on Saturday.

One Of The Suspects Opened Fire At The Police, Forcing Police To Return Fire

In the 10.15pm incident, deputy inspector-general of police Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Mohd Zinin told a press conference at the state police contingent that police had opened fire in self-defense as the robbers had fired the first shot.

“One of the suspects fired several shots at the police and we had no choice but to return fire until there was no threat,” he told reporters at the state police headquarters here yesterday.

Some of the firearms, live bullets and clothing seized during the shootout. Read more: 3 suspected criminals shot dead in JB - Latest - New Straits Times

Image via

Two Of The Robbers Died On The Scene While Another Died On The Way To The Sultan Ismail Hospital

Two suspects died on the spot while another died on the way to the Sultan Ismail Hospital. The leader of the gang were among the three suspects aged 39 to 41.

The Police Believe The Suspects Were Also Responsible For Nine Other Armed Robberies In Johor And Pahang For Two Years

Mohd Bakri said initial checks on the two dead men revealed nine criminal records involving robberies in Johor alone.

“The group has been active the last two years, targeting moneychangers in Johor and Pahang.”

"They preyed on business outlets, particular moneychangers," he said, adding that the police hauled up eight men aged between 26 and 38 and robbery tools in several locations within 24 hours after the shootout.

Four Pistols, Two Of Which Were Loaded, Were Found On The Suspects. The Toyata Vios Was Also A Stolen Vehicle.

He said police recovered a Browning pistol and a Colt .45 and ammuntion from inside the vehicle, which had been reported missing from Teluk Intan.

Mohd Bakri said two semi-automatic pistols, a Browning pistol and a Colt .45 pistol, both with bullets, were found on the suspects while the Toyota Vios driven by them was reported stolen in Teluk Intan, Perak.

Deadly packages: Mohd Bakri (centre) with Johor police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Mohd Shariff (second from right) and senior police officers showing the seized pistols in Johor Baru.

Image via

Within 24 Hours Of The Shootout, Police Picked Up 8 Other Gang Members

He added that police launched an operation to find the remaining gang members and managed to detain eight, between the ages of 26 and 38 years, in Taman Setia Tropika and in Taman Puteri Wangsa here within 24 hours of the shootout.

Mohd Bakri said police also seized a Baretta 9mm gun, a fake pistol, a parang, several jackets, ski masks, and gloves from the suspects.

He said they were being investigated under Section 3 (1) and Section 8 of the Firearms Increased Penalties (Fipa) Act 1971, and Section 307 of the Penal Code.

Other Recent Police Shoot Outs:

You may be interested in: