Here Are 16 Of The Most Memorable Formula 1 Moments This Season So Far
Wins, losses, and an epic rivalry to the title!
1. Valtteri Bottas signs on to join PETRONAS Mercedes, replacing reigning champion Nico Rosberg
Bottas would go on to win the Russian and Austrian GPs.
2. After Sebastian Vettel wins the Australian GP, Lewis Hamilton comes back to dominate in China, taking pole position, the fastest lap, and eventually winning the race
Hamilton takes his 54th career win while Vettel gets disrupted by Giovinazzi's big crash, leaving him in second place.
3. Malaysian fans say goodbye to Formula 1 in Malaysia as we watch the race at the Sepang circuit for the last time
4. Tipped to be a future champion, Max Verstappen wins the Malaysian and Mexican Grand Prix
The 20-year-old made history last year by being the youngest driver to win a Formula 1 grand prix at the age of 18. Looks like Mad Max is only going to get better!
5. When Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari broke down during the first Free Practice session for the Bahrain Grand Prix and he got turned into a meme
Also because the Iceman walking through the dessert was a great metaphor for his entire season :(
6. Under new management, Formula 1 creates and uploads footage and races to social media for the first time, allowing fans to enjoy the sport all over the world
From live updates of the race to behind-the-scenes moments in the paddocks, fans were finally given a look into the world of F1 through social media.
7. The adorable story of Thomas Danel, Raikkonen's biggest fan
The feel-good story that united fans happened during the Spanish Grand Prix when six-year-old Thomas Danel was shown on TV sobbing after Raikkonen crashed out of the race after the first lap.
In a testament to F1's new owners' pledge to make the sport more accessible to the public, Thomas was tracked down and invited to the paddock to meet Raikkonen in the Ferrari garage. This is the first time a fan has not only been invited into the paddocks, but also that it was broadcast over social media!
8. Despite getting forced off the track by Vettel during the Spanish Grand Prix, Hamilton won the race in a critical victory that set the tone for the rest of the season
9. When Fernando Alonso skipped the Monaco GP to race at the Indianapolis 500, and Jenson Button stood in for one race
Button retired at Lap 66 after clipping the Sauber of Pascal Wehrlein, leaving the Sauber flipped to its side. He also received a three-place grid penalty for his next race of the season, which was pointless because this race was a one-off.
10. The Baku event is renamed, becoming the first Azerbaijan Grand Prix with Daniel Ricciardo getting his first, and only, win of the season
The race saw Sebastian Vettel finish fourth after being penalised with a 10-second stop-go for swerving into rival Lewis Hamilton who came in fifth.
11. During the same race we witnessed Kimi Raikkonen freaking out over not having his steering wheel
12. All the memes from the Austrian GP press conference when Kevin Magnussen was bored out of his mind
After the drama in Baku that saw Vettel swipe the side of Hamilton's Mercedes, all questions were directed to the title rivals with K-Mag largely ignored. Poor fella!
13. The fierce competition between Hamilton and Vettel keeps us on edge throughout the season, with Vettel leading by just 14 points as they go into the Belgian GP
This would be the race when Hamilton equals Michael Schumacher's record of 68 career pole positions. The British driver finished first at the Belgian GP, and would go on to win in Italy, Singapore, Japan, and the US.
14. PETRONAS Mercedes claims their fourth F1 constructors' championship in Austin after Hamilton's win in the US GP
15. Lewis Hamilton wins his fourth F1 world title after coming in ninth place at the dramatic Mexican GP
Hamilton's five wins from the last six races meant he clinched the title with his lowest finish of the season. A clash with closest rival Sebastian Vettel put him in last place, but his 66-point advantage going into the race proved enough to take the world title.
Get a chance to meet Lewis Hamilton this 29 November at Suria KLCC as he celebrates the win with Malaysian fans! Stay tuned to PETRONAS Motorsports FB for details.