Malaysian guys love to experiment with their hair. We used to buy all kinds of hair products to achieve hairstyles like...
1. Back in the 80s, it was all about the rock kapak look with the permed look and... SUNGLASSES!
2. Then came that 'tempurung' hairdo boys had in the 90's, just like that episode from Mr. Bean
3. There was one time, EVERY guy begged the hairstyle for centre-parted hair
4. Aaron Kwok. Nick Carter. Peter Andres. They all had a hold on us.
5. Some of the best days of our lives happened with our hair parted in the middle. School debates, our first fight, prom night, sports events, and nightclub outings.
6. After that era fizzled out, the "Armani" hairstyle took over. Flatten the top of your hair and leave only the fringe standing.
7. When punk rock was huge in the 90's, guys ditched the boyband look for rebellious, spiky hair. The pointier, the better.
The more wax, the better, too!
8. Dreadlocks, cornrows, also looked good on a select few...
9. At times, we had the "pineapple" thing going on. P.S. Guys would carry hair gel or wax in their bags.
10. David Beckham was a huge influence for guys. When he went bald, guys went bald.
11. When he had a mohawk, guys did the mohawk
12. Senget mohawks were also accepted
13. When black and brown were too boring, we spent our days walking around in GOLDEN blonde hair with red or orange highlights!
14. After our Form 5 days, we grew our fringe. It's okay if we couldn't see. We used a 1.3MP phone camera to gather evidence:
15. Basically, the longer the fringe, the more edgy you look
16. Fringe + Mohawk = Fringehawk
17. Some guys never really stopped growing their hair...
P.S. Can you spot the flip phone?
18. Until thankfully, people started shaving the sides of their head
19. To stand out from the rest, funky patterns were shaved. It could be your favourite football team, a tribal pattern or just random lines.
20. Then there was that ONE friend whose hair just stood above the rest...
More fun stories on SAYS: