Cover image via Images (c) Azmi Hussin from
1. Everybody in town is automatically your pak cik, mak cik, abang and thanggachi
2. Can walk everywhere - supermarket, school, beach, market, etc.
3. Your neighbours are friendly, generous and super helpful in times of need!
4. Local fruits sold by the roadside or in the market are crazy cheap! #thekebunlife
5. You have quick access to all necessities: schools, hospitals, post office, kedai runcits, coffee shops, barber shops!
6. The town will be empty by 7pm unless there's a pesta or religious procession
7. … and when the pesta is going on, that’s when the surprise traffic jam starts
8. Birthday parties are held at KFCs
9. Rickety old buses that go at 30km/h but can withstand the weight of 60 adults
10. Weddings mean the whole taman comes together to masak-masak
11. Chickens are our daily alarm clocks at 5.30am
12. Cows hanging out on the streets is a common sight
13. The whole town will know the detailed version of your UPSR, PMR, SPM and STPM results
14. Your neighbourhood 'mall' is called a supermarket or shopping complex!
15. No curfews and loads of freedom because you can't really get into any kind of trouble. Everybody knows everybody, remember? :)
16. Your favourite mamaks will always know your order
17. Cows and zero privacy aside, you know there's no place like home... :')
What other memories do you have of growing up in a small town? Let us know in the comment section below!