For CNY this year, the Starling is continuing on their journey around the world
Their journey began during Christmas last year, when their 'Joyous Christmas' theme depicted a traveller's adventure in 1930s London. The story now continues with 'A Prosperous Journey', in which the traveller will be heading to the East to celebrate Chinese New Year in 1930s Shanghai.
Their decor shows the sights that the traveller sees when he arrives at a familiar location in an old Shanghai street
In a clever reinterpretation that doesn't waste the decorations they already have, the iconic characteristics of London you saw during Christmas are still there, but they've been transformed into the familiar sights of old-school Shanghai.
Now you'll find everything in green - from the vintage double decker bus and pillar mail box to the public telephone booth that's reminiscent of that nostalgic time period in Shanghai.
What was once a magical forest of snow-covered Christmas trees is now an abundant grove of Mandarin orange trees. There are a total of 8,888 Mandarin oranges to wish visitors an abundance of good fortune, happiness, and wealth on your own 'Prosperous Journey'.
Don't forget to do all your CNY shopping at the street bazaar. It's filled with over 30 merchants selling an array of festive merchandise and food!
You'll be able to find everything you could possibly want and need, including handmade fashion accessories, cookies, handmade bags, handmade lamps, plants, decorative items, and so much more.
There are also some specialty booths selling things that'll level up your CNY celebrations and make your open house the envy of all!
- Wonders Da Hong Pao: Pick up some Chinese tea leaves (oolong tea, rock tea, white tea, black tea) as well as pretty tea pots and cups to serve your family with something special.
- YL Time Gallery: Add an extra touch of flair to your festive OOTD with a stylish timepiece.
- The Viv: For something a little more modern, try Korean-style fashion for the Lunar New Year.
- Awesome Snacks: Stock up on yummy CNY cookies and snacks for your open house.
- Loong Kee Dried Meat: Grab some vacuum packed dried meat to snack on while chatting with friends.
- Song Tao Group: Find our your fortune for the new year with Bazi & Feng Shui consultancy or usher prosperity into your home with Feng Shui Products and 5 Elements Crystals.
- Eu Yan Sang: Grab some Eu Yan Sang products and hampers as gifts for when you go visiting your loved ones.
- Galaxy Dreams: Look stunning this CNY with traditional clothes for adults and children.
From before CNY starts right up to the last day of the festive season, you can count on the Starling to keep you entertained with their awesome lineup of exciting performances
Acrobatic lion dance by Khuan Loke Dragon and Lion Dance Association (National Champion)
This village lion dance troupe turned professional multiple award-winning dragon and lion dance association has won over 30 championship awards in various international and national lion dance competitions.
Held at the South entrance, their highly skilled and impressive high-pole acrobatic lion dance performance will definitely amaze you!
Shanghai Tang Magical Dance
This show is a brand new concept that combines elements of magic with dance. Inspired by the legendary 'Shanghai Tang' movie and filled with audience interaction, this love story will be performed by one of the best dance groups in Malaysia.
A Spring Celebration with Kuala Lumpur Pipes and Drums
In celebration of the Spring festival, our nation's very own Kuala Lumpur Pipes and Drums will be presenting a unique performance of famous Chinese songs and classic Chinese New Year songs.
Chinese Circus Acrobatics Show
Prepare to be amazed by a team of young acrobats from Beijing who will be putting on an impressive performance of Chinese contortion, various balancing acts, straw hat acrobatics, traditional Chinese diabolo, gymnastics, plate spinning and more.
Colour Of Voices in Prosperous Harmony
Enjoy the vocal talents of Colour Of Voices as they come together in a harmonious performance. Their special a cappella arrangement of both classic and popular Chinese songs will give you a whole new way to experience and appreciate familiar songs.
LED Dragon Dance
In Chinese culture, dragons are a symbol that is believed to possess lots of positive qualities including great power, dignity, fertility, wisdom, and auspiciousness. They are also believed to bring good luck to people. The longer a dragon in the dance, the more luck it will bring!
Soak up all the prosperous vibes from the stunning LED dragon dance show by Kwong Ngai Lion Dance Association on Chap Goh Mei, 8 February 2020.
Shanghai Nights Dance Show
With contrasting dance choreography, specially made props, and elegant costumes, this special Shanghai-inspired dance show will transport you back to the 1930s, the golden era of jazz.
Eastern Serenade Magic Show
A spectacular oriental magic show that includes colourful props, classical music, and delightful melodrama.
The Silks Of Time Dance Show
This interesting dance performance with unique choreography beautifully blends modern and classical dance.
God of Prosperity Meet & Greet
Usher in prosperity with a face-to-face meet and greet session with the famous God of Prosperity. May good fortune smile upon you for the rest of the year!
One FM Infinite Happiness Tour 2020
Come and celebrate the new year with One FM announcers at the Starling on 18 January 2020 at 2pm. Enjoy performances by local artistes Uriah See, Juztin Lan, Fuying, and Sam. There’ll also be games where you'll stand the chance of winning cash prizes and cool merch.
For all your catch-up sessions and reunion dinners with friends and family, the Starling has over 50 appetising F&B options to choose from that'll satisfy your every craving
- Chill Out: Nicsmann 1940’s by Lewre, Truly Wine
- Local Favourites: Nam Heong, Mr Fish Fishhead Noodle, Ah Cheng Laksa, I Love Yoo, Tan Ngan Lo, Go Noodle House, Dave’s Deli, Two Sons Bistro, The Teh Tarik Place, Teo Chew Lor
- Asian & Fusion: Red Kettle, Tang Room, Sopoong, Liang Sandwich Bar & Ages Ago, PhoVietz, Seafood Dynasty, Mr Tuk Tuk, Nene Chicken, The Museum, Kakatoo
- Japanese: Mitsuyado Seimen, Rakuzen, Teppanyaki, Empire Sushi, Sushi Zanmai, Sukishi
- Western & Fusion: The Embassy Café & Bakery, Stuff’d & Teaki Teabar, Nando’s
- Health & Organics: Salad Atelier, BMS Organics
- Bakery & Take-Away: Auntie Anne's, Famous Amos
- Coffee, Tea, Juice & Desserts: Starbucks Coffee, Madeleine, Baskin Robbins, Cojiitii, Juice Works, Juiceee, Tea Verandah, Tiger Sugar, llao llao
- Foodie's Nest (Level 3): Champ's Express, Pin Qian Klang Bah Kut Teh, Lim Fried Chicken, Taiwan Spicy Noodles House, Spicy Sichuan, Judy's Hakka Lei Cha & Cuisine, Fujisawa Izakaya, Sambal Inc, Penang Flavours Express, Teow Chew Meng, COOOK, Ramen X
The Starling wishes you a very Happy Chinese New Year! Don't forget to head over there to experience 'A Prosperous Journey' and celebrate the festive season.
Read more #CNY2020 stories on SAYS: