Give Your Breasts Some Love This Pinktober With Wacoal & Learn How To Do A Self-Exam
Boobs. What more do we really need to say?
It's more than just a body part. For many women, their relationships with their breasts play a role in confidence and self-esteem.
It's because we love our breasts that we have to look after them. Did you know that 1 in every 19 Malaysian women are at risk of contracting breast cancer?
Statistically, Malaysian Chinese women face the highest risk of contracting breast cancer, followed by Indian and Malay women, according to recent trends.
This is why it's so important for all women to perform self-examinations on their breasts often, and to also get mammograms regularly.
But don't worry, because early detection can potentially save a life!
Early detection can result in less radical treatment, allowing for a higher survival rate.
As a gentle reminder, these are a few symptoms of breast cancer:
- Lump in the breast or underarm (armpit)
- Swelling or thickening of all or part of the breast
- Dimpling or skin irritation of breast skin
- Localised, persistent breast pain
- Redness, scaliness, or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- Nipple discharge (other than breast milk)
- Any change in the size or shape of the breast
If anyone is experiencing any of these symptoms, please consult a practicing doctor immediately.
Another way to detect early signs of breast cancer is by regularly examining your breasts on your own. Here's how to do it:
The best time to carry out a self-examination is when you've just stopped menstruating, and your breasts are no longer tender. It'll be easier to feel for lumps without experiencing discomfort.
- It's best to do this with foam and while you're in the shower.
- Use the pads of your fingertips and gently press all over your breasts in a circular motion.
- Lift one arm over your head, and use the other hand to massage gently while looking out for any lumps or soreness.
Wacoal wants to help spread knowledge on the early detection of breast cancer as part of their Pink Ribbon Campaign this October!
In line with this year's theme, "Because We Care", they're carrying out amazing initiatives to educate the public on breast cancer, and we think that's just so cool! Thanks, Wacoal! <3
Here's what Wacoal has in store for customers:
- Encourage customers to get themselves checked for breast cancer
- Educate the public on finding their correct bra size
- Teach the public on the proper way to wear a bra
- Share with customers on how to perform a Breast Self-Examination (BSE)
- Encourage women above 40 years old to go for a mammogram annually
Head over to Wacoal stores, and you can get a Bra Fitting Kit, too!
This year, they are collaborating with MAKNA (National Cancer Council Malaysia) to cover the cost of 55 mammogram procedures for underprivileged women in Sarawak
It's a heartwarming initiative to help women in need care for their health, and educate them on the dangers of breast cancer.
Besides that, all Wacoal management staff and promoters will be wearing Pink Ribbon badges and t-shirts as a display of solidarity and support.
Psst... Wacoal is giving away free Bra Fitting Kits to 100 SAYS readers!
All you gotta do is be among the first 100 to fill up the Google Form below. Once you have completed and submitted the form, you'll receive an SMS from Wacoal. Then, just show that message at your chosen Wacoal counter to redeem your free kit.