1. The story about Tun Dr Mahathir's inauguration as the 7th Prime Minister being cancelled on the day it was supposed to happen
The inauguration was meant to be held at 9:30am on 10 May. However, it was cancelled an hour before the scheduled time, after the Palace was quoted saying by Sumisha Naidu of Channel NewsAsia that the swearing-in won't be taking place on 10 May.
The SAYS story about the event was the top political news story of 2018, with 410,094 Pageviews and 365,537 Unique Pageviews. You can read the story here.
PS: Tun Dr Mahathir was sworn-in as Malaysia's 7th Prime Minister by Yang di-Pertuan Agong at Istana Negara at about 10.05pm 10 May, about 13 hours after the Palace had said that it was cancelled for the day. You can read the swearing-in story here.
2. The story about Yeo Bee Yin, who - at the age of 35 - became the youngest female Minister in Tun Dr Mahathir's new Cabinet
From tracing her humble beginnings as Damansara Utama state assemblyperson to MP of Bakri and then to a newly minted Cabinet Minister, our story on Yeo Bee Yin's illustrious political journey was attracted over 235K Pageviews.
And with 215,331 Unique Pageviews, it was the top second political news story on SAYS for 2018. You can read it here.
3. The story about Zahid Hamidi's nine-year-old granddaughter, who was seen in an Instagram video by her mother, telling people who voted against BN that she "will make you regret your life"
The video showing the granddaughter of the BN leader, who is out on RM2 million bail after he was slapped with 45 charges, was shot inside a moving car by her mother.
Our story on the video received 209,871 Pageviews and 192,669 Unique Pageviews, making it the top third political news story on SAYS for 2018. You can read it here.
4. The story about the Pakatan Harapan government appointing Malaysia's first Sikh Federal Minister in Gobind Singh Deo
The Puchong Member of Parliament (MP) was officially sworn in as Malaysia's new Communications and Multimedia Minister on 21 May. Our story traced Gobind's political journey listing out the things he has done prior to becoming a Federal Minister.
It received 201,663 Pageviews and 184,719 Unique Pageviews, placing it at the fourth place in top 10 political news stories on SAYS for 2018. You can read the story here.
5. The story about DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, soon after he was appointed as Malaysia's first ethnic Chinese Finance Minister since founding Finance Minister Tan Siew Sin 44 years ago
LGE's statement during a press conference after Tun Dr Mahathir announced him as the new Finance Minister under the new Pakatan Harapan government went viral.
"I'm sorry, I don't consider myself a Chinese, I am a Malaysian," LGE told reporters at the press conference after he was asked on his appointment as Malaysia's first ethnic Chinese Finance Minister since founding Finance Minister Tan Siew Sin.
The SAYS story about the event was the top fifth political news story of 2018, with 189,644 Pageviews and 168,603 Unique Pageviews. You can read the story here.
6. The story about international leaders congratulating Malaysians on their participation in a hard-fought GE14 election campaign
After a 92-year-old Tun Dr Mahathir became Malaysia's 7th PM, world leaders lined up to convey their messages, praising Dr Mahathir for his "spectacular comeback".
Our story compiling the messages and remarks by the leaders from around the world was placed sixth in the top 10 political news stories on SAYS for 2018.
It received 169,653 Pageviews and 151,795 Unique Pageviews. You can read it here.
7. The story about PH's '10 Janji 100 Hari'
On 8 March, then opposition coalition Pakatan Harapan unveiled its manifesto ahead of the 14th general election, outlining what it sets to do once it is voted into government.
Our story about PH's 100-day agenda received 152,562 Pageviews and 140,267 Unique Pageviews and was the seventh in the top 10 political news stories on SAYS.
PH's 100-day agenda included abolishing the GST to setting up a Royal Commissions of Inquiry into scandal-ridden institutions such as 1MDB. You can read it here.
PS: While PH could not completely "walk the talk" on their 10 promises in 100 days, there was a lot they said and accomplished. Here's a SAYS story you can read on that.
8. The story about Dr Maszlee Malik being appointed as Malaysia's new Minister of Education after Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad vacated the post just one day after he said he is taking it
We profiled Dr Maszlee and wrote about his plans as the new Education Minister.
The former governor on the board of governance of one of the schools in Durham in the northeast of England believes in education through empowerment.
The story was placed eighth on top 10 political news stories on SAYS for 2018, with 149,481 Pageviews and 136,047 Unique Pageviews. You can read it here.
9. The story about Najib Razak taking to social media to appeal to the public for donations to help cover his family's legal costs
"Truly, my family has been facing financial pressure due to all the legal fees and also high bails that have been imposed," Najib wrote on his page, highlighting how he would need RM7 million to pay for legal fees and bail for both him and his wife Rosmah.
Our story on Najib's appeal to the public for donations received 140,618 Pageviews and 122,379 Unique Pageviews. It was placed nine on the list. You can read it here.
10. The story about PM Tun Dr Mahathir's granddaughter calling the participants of anti-ICERD rally "disgusting" in her Instagram Stories
While a mammoth crowd participated in the anti-ICERD Rally on 8 December at Dataran Merdeka to celebrate the government's decision against ratifying ICERD, 17-year-old Melia Serena Mukhriz posted a photo on her Instagram Story showing an aerial view of Dataran Merdeka during the anti-ICERD rally with a caption that read: "Disgusting. Take all offence, I don't care. Extremely disappointing."
Our story with 133,900 Pageviews and 120,082 Unique Pageviews was ranked tenth in the top 10 political news stories on SAYS for 2018. You can read it here.