news

110 Bangi Students Suffered Food Poisoning During Their First Week At University

They are students at the Selangor International Islamic University College.

Cover image via Berita Harian/Harian Metro (edited)

110 students at the Selangor International Islamic University College (KUIS) fell victim to food poisoning yesterday, 18 June

Image via Harian Metro

According to China Press, the victims include 90 female students and 20 male students.

They had eaten dinner provided by the university at around 7pm last night before the mass food poisoning occurred. 

The students, who were attending the fourth day of orientation week at KUIS, began vomiting and having diarrhoea after dinner

Harian Metro reported that students were given white rice, chicken korma, and vegetables for dinner. The food was ordered from a catering service by the university.

The victims, who are diploma and first-year degree students at KUIS, showed symptoms of food poisoning about an hour after dinner yesterday. 

The affected students were then sent to Serdang Hospital for treatment

Image via Berita Harian

Berita Harian reported a KUIS spokesperson as saying that the victims were sent to the hospital at around 8.30pm yesterday in buses and vans. 

According to China Press, a few students believe that the chicken dish served during dinner was the cause of the mass food poisoning. They had realised that the chicken tasted bad during dinner, but decided to finish it due to hunger. 

The students have since been released from the hospital following treatment.

Read other trending news on SAYS:

You may be interested in:

Leave a comment