4-Year-Old Suffers Burns To 46% Of Her Body While Playing With Firecrackers
In an incident late last night, 12 April, a four-year-old child suffered burns all over her body while playing with firecrackers in front of her house at Kampung Senara, Kubur Panjang in Pendang, Kedah
According to New Straits Times, the incident is believed to have happened at around 10.30pm.
The young victim, Nur Zatil Hidayah Mohd Tarmizi, and her two older brothers, aged seven and 10, were playing with firecrackers in front of their family home when she suffered burns to 46% of her body.
"At the time, the victim's parents were in the house and were said to have been watching television," Pendang District Police chief deputy Supt Arriz Sham Hamezah was quoted as saying.
The parents heard their young daughter screaming
After hearing screams, they ran out to find that their two elder children were frantically trying to put out the flames that had engulfed parts of the young girl's body, according to Arriz.
The victim's father then took a pail of water, which he poured over his daughter's body before rushing her to Hospital Pendang. The hospital then alerted the authorities about the incident at around 2.45am.
The father claims his daughter got burnt after being struck by fire from a kerosene lamp while trying to light the firecracker she was holding
Police are currently investigating the case under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, where any person who neglected, abandoned, or exposed a child in a manner likely to cause him/her physical or emotional injury can be fined RM20,000 or imprisonment for 10 years or both.
"However, what really happened will only be known after we have recorded statements from the victim's two older brothers, because for the time being they are still very traumatised by what happened to their sister. For now, the hospital authorities have not informed us regarding the outcome of the report on the cause of the victim's injuries, whether it was caused by the kerosene lamp or the firecrackers," Arriz said.
Meanwhile, the victim was transferred to Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah in Alor Star for further treatment.