Last month, a 29-year-old was murdered by a group of men at the Taman Desa Maju housing construction site in Langkap, Teluk Intan
According to Hilir Perak district police chief ACP Ahmad Adnan Basri, the victim was with three of his friends at the time of the attack on 13 May when a group of eight men in two cars approached them.
The four of them were drinking at a shop near the site.
"The victim and his friends tried to flee but the group ran after them with a parang," Ahmad Adnan said, adding that two of the friends aged 25 and 19 were injured in the commotion.
"One of them sustained injuries to three of his fingers while another was slashed on his arm. The victim had run into the bushes at the construction site where he was slashed. When police arrived, they found the body, with the right arm almost severed, covered in blood," he was quoted as saying last month.
Following an investigation into the case, police have now arrested a total of five individuals – among whom is a 34-year-old main suspect
They were arrested on Tuesday, 1 June.
Speaking about the motive behind the murder, Ahmad Adnan said that they believe the 34-year-old suspect was angry with the victim, who had allegedly told off his son prior to the incident.
"It is believed to be murder as the suspect was angry after the victim reprimanded his son for making noise by riding a motorcycle in front of his (the victim's) house. The victim and the main suspect lived next door, just two houses apart," he was quoted as saying yesterday.
The suspect was charged at the Teluk Intan court today, 3 June, under multiple sections of the Penal Code, while others were given bail
Identified as R Chandran, he was charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder, which carries the mandatory death penalty if convicted, reported Kosmo.
He was also charged under Section 326 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing grievous hurt, and Section 324 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons to two others.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the two charges.
The court has set 6 August for re-mention of the case.