news

Johor Man Dies From Gas Explosion While Trying To Steam Mushrooms

The victim and his employee were installing gas cylinders in a steam generator.

Cover image via Berita Harian & Oriental Daily

On 15 December, a 52-year-old man was killed by a gas explosion while trying to boil water so he could steam mushrooms

According to The Star, the victim was an owner of a mushroom cultivation centre in Ulu Tiram, Johor Bahru.

The victim, Ong Kim Hin, was accompanied by an employee when the explosion happened at around 11.30am.

The Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) received an emergency call at 11.35am. 

25 firemen from the Johor Jaya, Tebrau, and Larkin fire stations were dispatched to the location.

Image via Berita Harian

Ong and his employee were installing gas cylinders in a steam generator

The Star reported that one of the cylinders exploded in front of the victim when he turned on the gas knob.

Seri Alam acting district police chief DSP Shahrulanuar Mushaddat Abdullah Sani said that the impact of the explosion threw Ong to the ground and he severely injured his head.

Image via Oriental Daily

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene by medical officers from the Ministry of Health

An operations commander from the Johor Jaya Fire and Rescue Station told Berita Harian that Ong's body was handed over to the police for post-mortem.

He also said his team will monitor the scene to ensure that there are no more hazards.

Image via Oriental Daily

Read more recent trending news on SAYS: