Man Linked To Rocky’s Death Summoned To Court

Muhammad Shah Hizam has maintained that he was only at the scene to carry out an assigned duty.

Enlarge text

Follow us on InstagramTikTok, and WhatsApp for the latest stories and breaking news.

A man who faced public backlash after the death of a dog named Rocky has been summoned by the Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) to appear at the Klang Sessions Court tomorrow, 20 August

According to the New Straits Times, lawyer Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali said his client, Muhammad Shah Hizam, 24, was served a summons to appear in court at 9am to face a charge.

However, Rafique, who is representing Shah alongside lawyer Mahmud Abdul Jumaat, said the exact charge has yet to be disclosed.

"As of now, we are unsure which section and law he will be charged under," he said.

SAYS.com

Muhammad Shah Hizam speaking during a press conference in Shah Alam last Thursday, 13 August.

Image via Faiz Anuar/New Straits Times

Last week, Shah denied abusing or killing Rocky during a capture operation in Taman Teluk Gedong Indah, Klang, which resulted in the dog's death on 29 July

At a press conference in Bukit Jelutong, Shah Alam last Thursday, 13 August, Shah said he was distressed by the online accusations following a viral video alleging that he had tortured and killed Rocky.

He maintained that he was only at the scene to carry out an assigned duty.

"I live under extreme pressure, receiving intense criticism and death threats after Rocky's death. I do not support cruelty to animals, let alone intend to injure or kill them, nor was I involved in the dog's death. I was there solely to perform an assigned duty," he said.

Rafique said Shah was acting as a community representative after receiving a written invitation from the neighbourhood's Jalan Sama Gagah Rukun Tetangga to assist in an official operation with the Klang Royal City Council (MBDK).

"All 50 residents involved that night were fully briefed by MBDK personnel, who demonstrated how to capture stray dogs," Rafique said.

He added that the catch pole used during the operation was supplied by MBDK and did not belong to Shah.

According to Rafique, chaos broke out when a woman claiming to be Rocky's owner intervened.

"Based on what Shah witnessed, the woman suddenly hugged and sat on Rocky while the dog was still alive to prevent it from being taken away," he said.

"A struggle ensued while the loop was still around Rocky's neck, creating a tense and chaotic situation."

Rafique added that 12 other stray dogs were captured without injury that night, with Rocky being the only dog that died.

SAYS.com

Screenshots of the video of the incident on 29 July that went viral.

Image via Threads/SAYS

Meanwhile, Rocky's owner, 42-year-old Roghini Devi, claimed she had returned home that day to find her dog unresponsive with a noose around its neck, surrounded by a crowd outside her home

She claimed that she repeatedly pleaded with those at the scene to remove the noose and hand Rocky over to her, but her pleas were ignored.

The incident was under investigation by the DVS.

Read more about the case here:
Read more trending stories on SAYS

You may be interested in: