Parents Of 2 Kids Who Died In House Fire To Be Probed For Negligence
Parents or guardians who neglect children without proper supervision can be prosecuted under Section 33 (1) of the Children Act.
Early morning yesterday, 2 January, two children were found burned to death after they were trapped in a fire at their parent's house on Jalan Dewan Simpang Tiga, Gombak
The parents were not home at the time of the incident, which occurred around 3.50am, according to Selangor fire and rescue department chief Norazam Khamis.
The victims were identified as nine-year-old Nur Syaza Alfisya Faizan and her six-year-old brother, Al Qayyum Faizan, reported Bernama.
"The charred remains were found in a room and they were believed to have been trapped during the incident based on the condition of the bodies," he mentioned in a statement.
Norazam said after the department received a distress call at 3.54am, a team of 22 firefighters from the Selayang and Rawang fire and rescue stations, as well as the Gombak volunteer fire squad, were sent to the scene.
They were able to retrieve the charred bodies at 4.43am. Norazam shared that the fire damaged 70% of the house.
The authorities are now considering action against the parents for negligence
Women, Family, and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri stated that parents or guardians who neglect children without proper supervision can be prosecuted utheir Section 33 (1) of the Children Act.
"I felt very sad when I learned about the fire case involving two children. Both of them were found locked in the house, which caused them death," Nancy said via Kosmo.
Nancy also advised all parents and guardians to always look after, monitor, and never neglect their children.
"Neighbors and the local community also need to report to the Social Welfare Department (JKM) if there are any cases of children being left unattended and neglected," she added.
The fire incident involved three houses with eight victims
According to Nancy, her ministry has provided initial assistance in the form of donations of disaster goods to those affected by the fire.
"We are currently in the process of identifying appropriate assistance to be given to the victims involved and a temporary evacuation centre (PPS) has been opened at Balai Raya Kampung Simpang 3, Gombak," she said.