Uncle Of M'sian-Born Teen Who Died In Detention Centre Claims Immigration Dept Misled Him

The uncle said he had been misled to sign a document that denied the Immigration Department any responsibility.

Cover image via Mukmin Nantang (Facebook) & Immigration Department of Malaysia

Follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and Telegram for the latest stories and breaking news.

Last week, an 18-year-old Malaysian-born teen died while in the custody of the Immigration Department.

While collecting his body, the deceased's uncle has now alleged he was misled into signing a document that absolves the authorities from any responsibility over his nephew's death.

Malaysiakini reported that the uncle was asked to sign a document by the Immigration Department when he went to collect 18-year-old Mohd Raman Albat's body.

The uncle thought that the document was for the release of his nephew's remains as he did not fully understand the content of the document.

Jefry Musa, an activist and teacher who taught the victim's younger siblings at Iskul Sama Di Laut Omadal, a community-based school for stateless children, told Malaysiakini, "So, we are weighing our legal options and seeking advice from several lawyers who have agreed to help in this case." 

In 2020, Raman and his 19-year-old brother, Mohd Hassan Albat, were arrested for not having the necessary documents even though they were Malaysian-born and their father was a Malaysian citizen

The brothers were involved in this predicament because their mother was a stateless person, which meant that their parents' marriage was not legal, reported Malaysiakini.

Musa said that the authorities have alleged that the brothers were Filipinos. However, Musa denied the allegation, adding, "He (Hassan) does not have any relatives in the Philippines."

It was reported that Raman suffered chest pains on 27 July but was only taken to Tawau Hospital on 2 August, where he passed away the next day

Musa told Malaysiakini that the family was informed by Tawau Hospital that Raman was brought in for treatment on 2 August.

Speaking with SAYS, Musa said that the Immigration Department has yet to release the post-mortem result.

"The Immigration (Department) only handed over his body, until now (Tuesday, 9 August) the Immigration (Department) has not released a statement," he added.

Raman's body was laid to rest at his hometown in Pulau Bum-Bum, Semporna, on Friday, 5 August.

On top of that, Musa told SAYS that they do not know Hassan's condition as he is still being detained. Currently, the family's priority is to fight for Hassan's release.

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Sinar Harian

SAYS has reached out to the Immigration Department and its director-general, Datuk Seri Khairul Dzaimee Daud, for further comments on this issue, but has yet to receive a reply.

One of the Malaysian-born brothers died in the custody of the Immigration Department, allegedly due to delayed medical attention:

Catch up on the latest news stories on SAYS: