This KL Restaurant Has Dishes From Various Indonesian Provinces That Are Great For Sharing
Foodies, get excited 'cause there's a brand new restaurant in town that'll satisfy all your cravings for Indonesian food, yummms!
Having recently opened its doors, Rumah Makan Nusantara is the first and only authentic Indonesian restaurant in Malaysia that's located within a hotel setting. And not just any hotel at that, you'll find it nestled within the 5-star Sunway Putra Hotel, which is located directly opposite World Trade Centre Kuala Lumpur.
So, not only will you be able to feast on delicious meals, you'll also get to chill and enjoy the ambiance.
With 120 seats available, the restaurant's interior features a modern contemporary look, made unique with a classic hint of vibrant Indonesian arts and crafts. It'll make you feel like you're in Indonesia, without having to actually leave the country!
And now for the most important thing — the menu.
You'll be happy to know that Rumah Makan Nusantara serves up a variety of à la carte dishes from different provinces across Indonesia.
Chow down on delicious eats like the famed Mie Tek Tek, Nasi Goreng Kambing, Sate Madura from Java, Sate Padang from West Sumatra, Ketoprak and Soto Betawi from Jakarta, Tongseng from Central Java, and many more.
With the exception of the desserts, drinks, rice, and noodles, each dish can serve two people, so bring along your loved ones and order lots of stuff to share.
Besides Indonesian food, you can also find some local Malaysian favourites at Rumah Makan Nusantara. This includes Udang Masak Lemak Cili Api, Asam Pedas Ikan Tenggiri, Ayam Percik, Daging Rendang Tok, and lots more.
Don't know what to order? Check out some of the chef-recommended dishes:
- Cireng: A special deep-fried Sudanese snack made out of tapioca
- Risoles: Wrapped pastry with a filling of chicken and vegetables, rolled in breadcrumbs and deep-fried
- Soto Betawi: Originating from Jakarta, this beef broth is boiled with meat and slowly simmered in coconut milk and spices. Served with condiments.
- Sop Buntut: Oxtail boiled in clear beef broth with vegetables. Served with condiments.
- Ayam Bakar Taliwang: Chicken seasoned with aromatic spices and grilled to perfection
- Tongseng Kambing: Mutton cooked in a thickened spice broth with vegetables and sweet soy sauce
- Ikan Nila Goreng Kecap: Deep-fried tilapia fish, eaten with sweet spiced soy sauce
- Udang Harimau Bakar: Grilled tiger prawns marinated with honey lime sweet sauce and grilled to perfection
- Sambal Kentang Ampela (Empedal) Pete: Diced potatoes, chicken gizzard, and stinky beans, stir-fried with tamarind and chilli paste
- Tahu Telur: A special East Javanese deep-fried beancurd dish with eggs and shrimp
- Daun Singkong (Ubi) Bumbu Kencur: Blanched cassava leaves in thickened coconut milk
- Ketoprak: A special Betawi dish of rice cubes, vermicelli, beancurd, tempeh, and vegetables, served with peanut sauce and crackers
- Nasi Goreng Kambing: Rice fried with lamb and vegetables in a secret seasoning, served with pickled vegetables and crackers
- Es Teler: Fruit cocktail served with coconut milk, condensed milk, syrup, and shaved ice
- PisCok Keju: Deep-fried banana fritters topped with cheese, palm sugar, syrup, and chocolate sauce
Rumah Makan Nusantara is part of Indonesia Spice Up the World, a gastro-diplomacy programme by the Indonesian government
The programme aims to increase the number of Indonesia's spice exports, as well as open 4,000 Indonesian restaurants outside of Indonesia by 2024. Rumah Makan Nusantara marks the 1,301st restaurant of the goal.
"Currently, there are 1,300 restaurants that carry Indonesia Spice Up the World around the world, so we still have less than 2,700 left. So tonight, we add one, so it's 2,699 less," said H.E Sandiaga Uno, Minister of Tourism & Creative Economy, the Republic of Indonesia during the pre-launch of Rumah Makan Nusantara on 17 March 2023.
Ready for an Indonesian feast with your family and friends?
You can now book tables at Rumah Makan Nusantara, and the best part is that from October to December, you'll get 10% off your total food bill just by mentioning the secret code — #TemanPakWil.
For more yummy eats around Malaysia, check out our other #makan stories:
Got some cool brand news to share?