17-Year-Old Malaysian Confirmed To Have Died During Christchurch Terrorist Attack

Haziq could not be located for six days following the massacre.

Mohd Haziq Mohd Tarmizi, who could not be located following the attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, has been confirmed dead six days after the tragedy took place

Image via Berita Harian

"Haziq is confirmed dead. The embassy had received this information," State Welfare and Caring Society committee chairman Phee Boon Poh told reporters on 20 March.

Haziq is the son of Mohd Tarmizi Shuib, who was brought to Christchurch Hospital to be treated for gunshot wounds following the massacre on 15 March

Image via Sinar Harian

His brother, 12-year-old Mohd Haris, is undergoing treatment for trauma at a children's hospital in Christchurch, New Straits Times reported.

Malaysian representatives in Christchurch had been looking for Haziq at hospitals, as well as checking with the authorities and local communities, for six days

"Haziq's mother is with police to provide the correct name and pictures as some bodies have yet to be identified and there may be a need to carry out a DNA test before obtaining any statement from police," he said when contacted by Bernama News Channel on 18 March.

Penang Welfare, Caring Community and Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh flew to Christchurch.

Image via says.com

The New Zealand government had announced that they would be releasing the names of the deceased by Wednesday, 20 March after their family members have been contacted.

Rest in peace, Haziq. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this difficult time.

Leave a comment