Driver Of The Speeding Bus That Killed A 16-Year-Old Was Driving Without A Licence
The driver of the speeding bus that killed a 16-year-old student working as a part-time delivery boy at a traffic light junction in Bayan Lepas on Thursday, 7 November was driving without a licence
New Straits Times cited Southwest district police chief Superintendent A A Anbalagan saying that the 49-year-old driver of the tour bus did not possess a driving licence.
According to The Star, the police are investigating how the man was allowed to drive.
In the accident, the green-coloured tour bus rammed into vehicles at the traffic light junction of Jalan Kelicap near Setia Triangle in Bayan Lepas, George Town.
He also tested positive for methamphetamine
Supt Anbalagan said the 49-year-old tested positive for methamphetamine when his urine was sent for analysis. He is being investigated for reckless driving under the Road Transport Act 1987.
According to a report in Free Malaysia Today, the driver of the bus, who was not carrying passengers at the time of the accident, had been driving at high speed on the left turning lane of Persiaran Kelicap.
Police have obtained a remand order against the driver
The Star reported that the driver has been remanded for two days starting Friday.
It said that the remand order against the 49-year-old was issued by Magistrate Ahmad Tajudin Zain to assist in the police investigation under Section 15 (1) (a) of the Dangerous Drug Act 1952.