Penangite Suffers Burns After A Morning Cigarette Sparked An Explosion In His Flat

The man suffered 80% burns from an explosion which was caused by a gas leak.

Cover image via China Press

A man from George Town, Penang suffered severe burns and other injuries after an explosion erupted at his home

New Straits Times reported that the explosion occurred in a 20th floor apartment unit at Paya Terubong around 8am on Sunday, 18 August.

Lee Kok Eang, 62, suffered 80% burns and was hurled towards a wall by the force of the explosion.

According to Timur Laut police chief ACP Che Zaimani Che Awang, the explosion is believed to have been caused by leaking gas

"The powerful explosion occurred when the elderly man wanted to light his cigarette in the living room which was filled with gas leaking from the hose of a gas cylinder," he told Bernama.

The explosion blasted the walls in two bedrooms, living room, and the one room separating the neighbouring unit

Debris was scattered all over the place and several pieces of furniture were blown out of the unit, reported Free Malaysia Today.

Several units nearby also had shattered windows and cracks appeared on the concrete walls.

Lee is currently warded at Penang General Hospital to treat his injuries

He suffered injuries to his head, arm, body, and feet.

Three other family members, including Lee's daughter-in-law who is seven months pregnant, escaped unhurt during the incident.

New Straits Times reported that Paya Terubong assemblyman Yeoh Soo Hin has visited the family and they will be given a RM500 cash aid from the Welfare Department.

Read more trending news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: