UPDATE: 1 Utama now has over 100 cases.
Read the full story here.
As of Wednesday, 14 October, 1 Utama Shopping Centre in Bandar Utama, Selangor, has become one of the biggest COVID-19 clusters in the state after 63 cases were recorded at the shopping complex
According to a statement by the Petaling District Disaster Management Committee, of the 63 cases, 59 involve cases in Petaling District and the remaining 4 cases are outside the district.
So far, a total of 6,000 employees of 1 Utama have been screened by the management.
Based on which, 16 employees were confirmed positive for the virus, while 44 security guards also tested positive, Petaling District Disaster Management Committee chairman Johary Anuar said.
Of the visitors, a total of 110 have been screened on 14 October.
The breakdown of cases recorded at 1 Utama is as follows:
- Complex Management Employees: One
- Complex workers: 15 cases (12 cases Petaling district + three cases outside the district)
- Security guards: 44
- Shoppers: Three cases (two cases of Petaling district + one case outside the district)
1 Utama has been ordered to continue screening all employees while also ensuring that security companies appoint new security guards
The Petaling District Disaster Management Committee said that the employees who have tested positive will be hospitalised and those who have had contacts with the infected employees will need to be quarantined for 14 days and undergo follow-up screening before being released.
According to the committee chairman, the management of 1 Utama Shopping Centre must also ensure that new security guards are not from the close contacts to those guards who have tested positive.
"The new security guards will need to undergo a COVID-19 screening test before starting work."
Meanwhile, the closure order for 1 Utama has been extended for 14 days.
Prior to the Petaling District Disaster Management Committee's statement, the Ministry of Health (MOH) reported 27 cases at 1 Utama
We are not yet sure about the reason behind the two different numbers.
However, it seems the discrepancy can be attributed to the fact that the MOH press briefing in the evening carried the numbers that were recorded until 12pm Wednesday, 14 October.
The Petaling District Disaster Management Committee, on the other hand, appears to have access to test results that were done after 12pm yesterday, thus allowing it to release a higher count.
We will update this story once we get more information.
Keep practising physical distancing and wash your hands often. Watch the Defence Minister's press conference below: