The 2019 Oscars Is Not Airing In Malaysia, So Here Are The 22 Memorable Moments We Missed
It's been a rocky journey for the 2019 Academy Awards. Having lost its host and receiving backlash for several programming proposals, things were kind of a mess for Hollywood's Biggest Night.
However, as a rock legend once said - the show must go on... and the 2019 Oscars went off without a hitch last night at the Dolby Theatre.
Sadly for us, the 2019 Oscars was not and will not be aired in Southeast Asia (except Thailand), as regional players - including Astro - were unable to secure broadcasting rights to air the event
Historically, HBO Asia holds the rights to air the Oscars in the region, but has not commented on why it did not do so this year.
1. For some of the hottest names in showbiz today, it was their first time attending Hollywood's Biggest Night
Looks like Japanese lifestyle guru Marie Kondo found something that excites her more than mess! :p
Crazy Rich Asians star Awkwafina and Grammy Award-winning comedian John Mulaney also presented at the event.
2. The ladies looked absolutely radiant and dazzling as they swept across the red carpet
Pantsuits seem to be a solid choice for the ladies too! #fierce
3. Meanwhile, the snaccs a.k.a. the men are plenty dapper in their well-cut suits as well. :)
4. I think Billy Porter deserves his own segment for this FIERCE AF tuxedo gown by Christian Siriano
5. Bohemian Rhapsody star Rami Malek's bowtie remains crooked... even after several people tried to help him fix it. #relatable
6. Some special love for Asian excellence at the Oscars as well, especially our very own Malaysian goddess Michelle Yeoh
7. There may be no host, but legendary rock band Queen, Adam Lambert, and the spirit of Freddie Mercury raised the roof with a bangin' opening performance
GOOSEBUMPS. You won't regret watching the entire performance here:
8. The celebs - especially Javier Bardem - went WILD, you guys
9. Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, and Amy Poehler a.k.a. the Holy Trinity of comedy came prepared with an "opening monologue" and made everyone wish they were hosting the Oscars
10. Chris Evans a.k.a. IRL Captain America helped Regina King after her dress got caught as she was going onstage to receive her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress
11. Mahershala Ali became the first African American and Muslim man to win two Oscars in the Best Supporting Actor category
Ali, who won for his role as piano player Don Shirley in Green Book, also joins Denzel Washington as the only two African American people to win multiple acting Oscars.
12. Melissa McCarthy and Brian Tyree Henry presented the award for Best Costume Design looking like this:
13. Black Panther became the first movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to win not one, but THREE Oscars
The 2018 superhero origin movie won for Best Film Score, Best Production Design, and Best Costume Design.
14. BlacKkKlansman director Spike Lee jumped on Samuel L. Jackson when he went onstage to receive his Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay
15. The chemistry between Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper was electrifying when the duo performed Shallow from A Star Is Born
16. They even got a double standing ovation!
17. Lady Gaga later took to the stage again to receive the Oscar for Best Song, making the first person to win an Oscar, a Grammy, a Golden Globe, and a BAFTA in one single awards season
18. The Academy paid tribute to Stan Lee, Burt Reynolds, Penny Marshall, and other film craftsmen who passed away in the past year
19. Rami Malek gave his co-star and girlfriend Lucy Boynton a sweet shoutout during his acceptance speech for winning Best Actor
"Lucy Boynton, you’re the heart of this film, you’re beyond immensely talented. You have captured my heart," he said.
Malek's win capped on a huge night for Bohemian Rhapsody, which also won three technical awards - Best Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing.
20. The Favourite's Olivia Colman delivered a huge upset in the Best Actress category, which many thought would go to Glenn Close or Lady Gaga
22. Green Book may have won Best Picture, but the real winner of the night has got to be James McAvoy, who got several celebrities to sign his shirt after he - get this - found a red Sharpie on the floor
Check out the full list of winners at the 2019 Academy Awards HERE:
Best Picture: Green Book
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Best Actress: Olivia Colman, The Favourite as Queen Anne
Best Actor: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody as Freddie Mercury
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk as Sharon Rivers
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali, Green Book as Don Shirley
Best Animated Feature Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Best Animated Short Film: Bao
Best Original Song: Shallow from A Star Is Born, music and lyrics by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, and Andrew Wyatt
Best Film Score: Black Panther by Ludwig Göransson
Best Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Visual Effects: First Man
Best Cinematography: Roma, Alfonso Cuarón
Best Original Screenplay: Green Book
Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman
Best Foreign Language Film: Roma (Mexico), directed by Alfonso Cuarón
Best Production Design: Black Panther
Best Costume Design: Black Panther
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Vice
Best Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Sound Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Live Action Short Film: Skin
Best Documentary Feature: Free Solo
Best Documentary Short Subject: Period. End of Sentence.
Read more Entertainment features on SAYS: