25-Year-Old Woman Dies From Food Poisoning After Consuming Viral 'Puding Buih'

A total of 99 people were affected by the recent food poisoning outbreak in Terengganu.

Cover image via Chainfoto24/Freepik & Bernama/Free Malaysia Today

A 25-year-old woman in Terengganu recently passed away from food poisoning due to a viral dessert called puding buih

Terengganu Health director Dr Nor Azimi Yunus told Bernama that the deceased was receiving treatment at Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital (HSNZ).

She was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on May 24 and was pronounced dead at 10.40am today, 3 June.

"The death was caused by septicaemia shock and multi-organ failure," he said.

The victim's family members outside of the HSNZ forensics department.

Image via Ghazali Kori/Harian Metro

About a week ago, the Terengganu state government reported that there was a food poisoning outbreak involving 20 families

Malay Mail reported that the Terengganu Health Department (JKNT) recorded 99 cases of food poisoning as of 27 May.

All of the cases are believed to have been caused by eating puding buih from the same seller on 22 May.

Most of the victims have been admitted to public and private hospitals after experiencing symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting, and fever.

Authorities found that the food poisoning cases were caused by the use of expired eggs

State Local Government, Housing, Health, and Environment Committee chairman Dr Alias Razak told Berita Harian, "The seller involved had used eggs over two weeks past the expiry date when making the dessert."

He also assured that JKNT has taken action by shutting down the kitchen used by the seller for 14 days until Sunday, 7 June.

This is per Section 18(1)(d) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.

Read more recent trending news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: