Khairy: Almost RM75 Million In COVID-19 SOP Fines Collected To Date
The government has collected almost RM75 million in fines for COVID-19 standard operating procedure (SOP) violations since the first Movement Control Order (MCO) last year
The cumulative amount was revealed by Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin in a parliamentary written reply on Tuesday, 28 September.
He was answering a question by Bukit Bintang member of Parliament (MP) Fong Kui Lun, who asked for the total number of fines issued and their cumulative amount.
"For Yang Berhormats' information, the total number of fines issued for SOP violations since 2020 until today is 120,974 notices," Khairy said in the reply.
"Whereas, the total amount of issued fines is RM74.92 million up to 26 September."
Khairy added that a total of 360 cases involving SOP violations are still currently on trial in court
According to Malay Mail, in another parliamentary written reply on Monday, 27 September, to Ipoh Timur MP Wong Kah Woh, Khairy said a total of 112,671 notices for fines were issued up to 27 August.
He said this was an increase, as the whole of last year saw 67,542 notices issued.
The Health Minister emphasised that all the fines were valid and will not be revoked
This was in response to Wong's question if the government will cancel notices issued after 21 July due to confusion on whether the Emergency Ordinances were still effective.
"These fines are still in force as the Emergency Ordinance is still enforceable for a period of six months after it expired on 1 August 2021," Khairy said.
He explained that the Emergency Ordinance (Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases) (Amendment) 2021, which gives legality to the issuance of these fines, is in force until 1 February 2022, or until the Ordinance is repealed by the Parliament.
"Therefore, there is no confusion as stated."