[VIDEO] UMNO Youth Chief Seen Smiling While Getting Arrested In Kota Kinabalu

Akmal Saleh is being investigated for sedition.

Cover image via Akmal Saleh (Facebook)

Follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and WhatsApp for the latest stories and breaking news.

UMNO Youth Chief Dr Muhamad Akmal Saleh was arrested this morning, 5 April, upon arriving in Kota Kinabalu, he said in a statement

In the statement posted on his Facebook account, Akmal said he was detained despite being scheduled to have his statement recorded at the Dang Wangi police headquarters in Kuala Lumpur tomorrow, 6 April.

"InsyaAllah, I will give full cooperation. Pray for everything to go smoothly," the Merlimau assemblyperson said, adding, "[I] will not budge even an inch from our principles."

The UMNO Youth Chief was believed to be referring to his continued calls for the boycott against KK Super Mart over the 'Allah' socks issue, despite a final warning from His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, the King of Malaysia.

Separately, there have been calls for his arrest following a social media post of him wielding a sword. However, the police said they cannot take action if no report has been lodged.

Akmal was seen smiling as he was escorted into a police vehicle

"No fear, no surrender," he said while pointing to the camera in a video posted on Facebook.

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain, while confirming the arrest, said Akmal is being investigated for sedition

Razarudin said that investigations are underway against the UMNO Youth Chief under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948 and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

"Once [the investigation papers are] complete, [they] will be handed over to the Attorney General's Chambers for further instructions," the New Straits Times quoted him as saying.

Following Akmal's calls for the boycott, three KK Super Mart outlets across the country were targeted in petrol bomb attacks.

Read more about the controversy here:

You may be interested in: