[PHOTOS] Thousands Of M'sians Are Rushing To Return Home After Singapore Announces MCO
All schools and a majority of workplaces in Singapore will be shut down for an entire month.
The Singaporean government recently announced that the city state will be enforcing a movement control order dubbed the 'circuit breaker'
The Straits Times reported that starting today, 7 April, Singapore residents would have to restrict their movement and only leave their homes for essential activities such as purchasing food.
All schools and a majority of workplaces in the country will be shut down for an entire month.
Following the announcement of the partial lockdown, thousands of Malaysian workers in Singapore decided to return home
On Monday, 6 April, Sultan Iskandar Customs Immigration and Quarantine Complex Office uploaded several photos which showed large crowds gathered at the Singapore-Johor Bahru checkpoints.
The Facebook post read, "Welcome home, Malaysians. Stay at home safely."
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that Malaysians working in Singapore will only be allowed to return home after being certified free of COVID-19
"As long as Singaporean authorities don't clear them, they cannot return," said the minister, as reported by The Star.
He added that the government will meet with officials from Singapore to further discuss measures that can be taken before allowing Malaysians in the republic to return home.
Previously, over 10,000 people rushed to the Johor-Singapore Causeway after PM Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced the MCO:
Read more COVID-19 stories on SAYS: