Relatives of the owners of a beauty salon in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, whose alleged botched liposuction killed a 23-year-old model, attended the deceased's wake and apologised to her family
According to China Press, three relatives of the suspects, one man and two women, showed up at victim Coco Siew Zhi Shing's wake at Xiao En Memorial in Cheras on Tuesday, 20 October.
Siew's older brother said they came to pay their respects and formally apologised to him and his family for the incident on behalf of the mother-daughter duo who were still in police remand at the time.
The model died on Saturday, 17 October, after the fat reduction procedure went awry under one of the beauticians who was not licensed to carry it out. Siew underwent the procedure in preparation to get married next year.
The brother shared that his sister and her fiancé had been saving up for a wedding in each of their home countries - one in Malaysia and another in South Africa, which was why she opted for a discounted liposuction
He told China Press that it was her first time going for a cosmetic surgical procedure, which unfortunately, was also her last.
While busy with funeral arrangements, the brother said the the family has been accumulating evidence to take legal action against the beauticians who caused the death of his sister.
He added that Siew's fiancé, who she had been dating for over five years, is currently in South Africa and has been unable to fly back due to the pandemic. The mourning fiancé was only able to attend the memorial service through video call.
Meanwhile, the suspects have been freed on bail after their remand expired on Wednesday, 21 October
Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigation Department (CID) chief SAC Nik Ros Azhan Nik Ab Hamid told The Star that the police has already referred the case investigation paper to the deputy public prosecutor with recommendation to charge.
Nik Ros Azhan said the pair of unlicensed beauticians could be charged under Section 304 of the Penal Code for causing death by negligence.
He added that the Ministry of Health (MOH) is also conducting their own investigation into the matter.