news

42 More People Are Suffering Food Poisoning Due To Contaminated Laksa In Kedah Stall

Previous reports revealed that two customers have died so far.

Cover image via Freebuf

42 people have been affected by food poisoning after eating contaminated laksa from a famous stall in Kedah, said the Health Ministry yesterday, 9 October

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via rasamalaysia

There were 14 cases in Kedah, seven in Perak, and 21 cases in Selangor, where all victims suffered from similar symptoms after consuming laksa from the same shop in Kupang, Baling.

In a statement reported by Bernama, Health Director-General Datuk Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah said that this brings the tally to a total of 61 cases with two deaths so far.

He added that 21 people have been warded, while 38 others received outpatient treatment.

Last week, two customers died from food poisoning after consuming laksa from the same stall

At that time, 10 food poisoning cases were reported in Kedah while nine cases, including the deaths, were recorded in Perak.

Victims had suffered from diarrhoea, vomiting, and fever.

According to China Press, the famous 'Laksa Kebok' stall is located at Kampung Seri Landak in Kupang, Kedah and has been ordered to close temporarily.

Image via Sin Chew Daily

The 51-year-old laksa stall owner Daud Ismail previously claimed that the noodles were made fresh daily

He added that none of his family members had food poisoning in the last month.

"If it's poisoned, my family and I will be the first ones to die," Daud told Berita Harian yesterday.

Image via China Press

Kedah's Health Department inspected the premises of the laksa stall and found no relation to the reports on contaminated Iceberg lettuce that has been recently circulating the Internet

Health Director Dr. Noor Hisham said that the ministry is waiting for results from food samples to confirm the cause.

However, stool samples from the patients tested positive for Salmonella spp.

Meanwhile, authorities urge customers of the stall who have developed symptoms of food poisoning to seek medical treatment immediately.

Here are other restaurants that have been called out this year due to bad food hygiene:

Leave a comment